- Danish (not Dutch) is the main language here, although everyone seems to speak English.
- It's typically cool here but this week has been hot! No AC in the hotel, no ice in the drinks...ahhh yes... this is the "room temperature" Europe I remember.
- Biking all day...EVERYDAY...is a sneaky work out! On day three, my body aches from head to toe. I'm feeling butt and forearm muscles that I never felt before.
- Drinking age is sixteen and last night I learned, "Skal" (cheers) with new friends.
- Everyone here LOVES JAZZ. Jazz here = hip hop in the 80's. They can't get enough! All of the concerts and sessions are packed....so many young folk....Jazz abroad is a whole different beast. It's mesmerizing to see how much jazz impacts folks over here.
- And lastly...KRIS IS A FREAKIN ROCKSTAR! I mean Mingus and I always knew that but HIS FANS LOVE HIM. This is some next level ish and it definitely gives me perspective on the guy who doesn't put the dishes away. It's pretty dope and I'm in awe of his following.
We started off the day at the Market with fresh Fish and Chips and the best mojito I've ever had.
The best part about lunch was the live Cuban trio. Cuba has been all around me here. First there were awesome Cuban jazz musicians at the jam sessions and now, this trio. I'm pretty sure there's a small population here. Anywho...loved these guys. Gave me some great ideas for Havana Hop 2.0!
Afterwards we visited the Gammel Strand and walked around a bit. Lots of shops, performance art etc.
This is for Dre : Hot, caramelized almonds...mmmm
Next, we stopped by Tivoli square.
Tivoli is the world's second oldest amusement park and is
one of Copenhagen's most famous attractions.
Remember I told you that Kris was a superstar? Here's proof:
This lady stopped Kris on the street to verify it was him and then got his autograph.
Meet Eric and his sister Meda...they've come to EACH AND EVERY JAM SESSION that Kris has played in. We've now come to expect each other and hold seats for one another. Meda mentioned yesterday that in comparison to Kris and Lee, everyone else in the festival was sub par (#jazzshade), but they are both awesome and they join in on the shout fest after Kris solos.
Sultry Italian vocalist, Anna!
Super sweet, Bossa Nova vocalist, Ingrid!
Lee's wife and 1/4 of the B-more Bike Crew, Tierra! #jazzwives
Kris with drimmer and guitarist. They know Kris from the Christian Scott recordings. ;-)
The jam sessions are awesome.
Two things I've never seen before : jazz harmonica and jazz accordion!
Night in Tunisia .....accordion style!
Kris is still in awe of the bike lifestyle here. Even the bassists bike (say that ten times fast).
And lastly....and this one is a huge finale (lol)....we did a late night hang in Christiania.
IT. WAS. OUT! Remind me to tell you this story in person or read more here.
Basically this is a "free town" where anything goes. ANYTHING.
Kris and Lee sat in on one set but the biggest "Twilight Zone"moment came when this guy hit the stage and sang this. And he didn't even know we were from Baltimore!
Kris even went "electric" on em!
I will never and I mean NEVER...forget this day. ;-)

















No comments:
Post a Comment