Saturday, July 12, 2014

DAY FOUR: COPENHAGEN

Our last day in Copenhagen was quite memorable. If the trip ended here I'd be happy but alas, we are "on to the next"!!!

As for today, we finally got on "Europe time" so we were able to get up early for breakfast. After that we hopped on the Corolla (5) and the Xterra (12) to the Round Tower.

The Round Tower is the second oldest astronomical observatory in Europe.



 It has a flat spiral "staircase" that is seven stories tall. Talk about a work out!

 But the view at the top made it all worth it.

After that we headed back to Nyhavn...because it's awesome and we kinda got lost.


 Plus I had my eye on this ice cream shop that made fresh waffle cones.



 The "traditional" Denmark ice cream looks like this and has raspberry jam and a chocolate covered marshmallow on top. But I can't hang (lol), so I got a kiddie scoop of walnut vanilla.


Onyx was here! Yay 90's hip hop!


After that we biked (forever) to the other side of town: Fredriksberg and Norrebro . This side smelled like New York and was definitely where the working class locals live. They have doppppppe commissioned graffiti murals including this one by Cres and Sabe.


After that we biked back towards Kris' gig and ate at the AMAZING Grill Royal. By Copenhagen standards, this was a lot of food at a *reasonable* price. SO GOOD!




The icing on top of an awesome day was the incredible concert featuring Danish pianist Carsten Dahl.
This may be....MY FAVORITE JAZZ CONCERT OF ALL TIME. I cried, laughed and was in pure awe of the talent on stage. They all met one hour before the gig but improvised and collaborated brilliantly on the spot. This performance changed the game. I'll post a link here if and when the live stream becomes available. Absolutely amazing!



There were two encores and three standing ovations! 
I tried to convince the club owner to bring them back for a longer gig in the future. 
Ha! You never know!




 Jazz wifeys: Tierra (Lee), Anaaaya (Carsten) and Paige (Kris)

Kris with the musical director/producer of Montmartre, Christian Brorsen. 
Christian is who booked Lee and Kris and his hospitality was outstanding. 
Christian went above and beyond and we are so thankful!

On our last day, Denmark cried because we were leaving. LOL 
We had such a great time. Hoping we'll visit often.



Next stop: Athens, Greece!

No comments:

Post a Comment